Friday, July 10, 2009

Blueprints

As time goes by, life seems to get busier and busier. More responsibility often gives less time for just living. From a very early age, I was one of those kids who took on quite a bit of responsibility between school and personal life. Eventually I began to realize that things don't really get easier, so I made a point to try and have a general game plan in terms of direction in life. After I found myself dealing with some hardships both personally and in the workplace, I re-evaluated how exactly I wanted to live my life. I know I'm a family oriented type; I know I'd hate a desk job; I know I like to talk and discuss things. In high school I was always very critical of my instructors, often wondering what I'd do different. Teaching became a very real possibility when I considered how the profession fit into my ideal life. I would have lots of family time with summers off and holidays that match student’s schedules. I could get involved in school activities if I wanted or just focus on the class. The one shortcoming was the finances. Fortunately I have some relatively finance savvy family members who have given enough advice to help me solve that issue. I've taken my time with my education to try and build those assets that will supplement my income enough to live a comfortable life, with or without family.
Ultimately having this whole game plan comes down to the hopes that someday I can begin to actually understand life better. Yes, I could just live, but an unexamined life isn't worth living (thanks Socrates). I don't think our existence should be taken at face value, but it seems as the world has advanced and become more complex, we've gotten caught behind the webs we have woven to advance our standards of living. Many of us twenty-somethings, and even high schoolers, often lose sight of the big picture, never to really regain perspective after image, socializing, material possessions, and independence take hold of our focus. Sure it can be a good time, and maybe that is all that matters, but when considering we all have an expiration, considering there might be a broader reason or a better way, one might stop to ponder a bit. These bodies decay, the character doesn't. Our lives will end, but our spirits (or something) remain. Knowing this might not necessarily raise our standards of living, but it'd most likely set them.

Originally posted Friday, June 17, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment